Thursday, April 11, 2013

Is love blind? Transracial adoption thoughts.

Sitting here feeding D his bottle. It's so easy to stare into his deep brown eyes...they just study my face right back. I look at his beautiful complexion and it makes it so much more apparent how pale I am for this summer:)

He is perfect though, adorable and beautiful, in every way.

Funny, I realized the palm of our hands is the same color. It's so sweet how his palms and the bottom of his feet are so very light in contrast to his skin tone.


You can see the contrast here.


Had an African American lady stop me in the grocery store and comment on how cute D is..then she made the remark, "He looks just like you." And walked away. Still not sure if it was meant in a nice way or otherwise.

I actually get stopped EVERY time I go somewhere with D. It's actually crazy. Thankfully it's never judgmental words people approach me with, but they can't help but come over and tell me how adorable D and B are..and of course usually touch D's wild hair. No one can resist that:) Rarely do people ask the circumstances, so I don't know what they assume.

I do see plenty of judgmental eyes when we go out, but thankfully those are the people that keep their comments or questions to themselves...so far!

Being an interracial family is not something you can just pretend is not there. People still notice skin color and it still matters.

I think the reason some people have a problem with a couple adopting interracially is because they perceive that a child is best suited in a family who looks like him. I'd have to agree. In an ideal world children would stay with their parents or there would be such an abundance of adoptive homes that each child could be with their own race. That's not the case though and sadly African American males are the 'least desired' by couples adopting. If you haven't noticed in foster/adoptive there is a high percentage of caucasian families. Yet there is children of every race in the system. In fact not too long ago when feeling out our paperwork we checked 'no preference' next to gender or race....but in the back of my mind I had a 'preference'. I never voiced it out loud, but my ideal child (I hate to use the term) I thought would be a girl this time around and preferably my race. How limited my view was then and little did I know God had plans to push me outside of my comfort zone and bless us more than I could imagine.

As disgusting as it is to even say some private adoption agencies in the USA actually charge less fees for adopting a black child compared to other races...sort of an incentive.

That alone shows me how racist our country still is.

God's word says it best Acts 17:26 "...and He made out of one man every nation of men, to dwell upon the entire surface of the earth...." and John 7:24 "Judge not according to appearance but judge righteous judgement."

Though stereotypes remain very strong and even for these precious babies who need a place to belong are labeled from birth. Like there isn't plenty of gangsta white teenagers who are on drugs and in juvy.

My child's race does not determine who he will become.

My family in just this short time has not been confronted by strangers with this harsh reality...that will likely come when D is much older..or maybe we never will be. I don't claim to know all the hurdles we will face.

I know God has blessed us immensely through having baby D in our home. He has a smile that scrunches up his whole face and lights up the whole room. His laugh is contagious and his chubby cheeks are irresistible. I'm so glad my 'ideal child' I conjured up in my head was not placed in our home. I'm glad God chose to stretch us and change our lives.

We still do not know what the future holds and as I've mentioned before it may be while before we do. I want everyone to know I love this child just as my own and can't imagine him better suited for another family...he makes my family so much better by being a part of it.

We may never look alike...and I will never pretend that we do. "Love is not blind; it simply enables one to see things others fail to see.” I simply see a child that is our son and is also Breyton's brother and best friend. He's just family...whom I love like crazy.


So on a very random note I had a cute picture to share:) No matter where you put D in the room he will crawl to the tile to slap it....I suppose because of the noise it makes. It's so funny...not sure why...but before you know it all 3 of them are down there doing it while D laughs hysterically:) Love them!

No comments:

Post a Comment