Wednesday, January 16, 2013

How we met D

What's it like to get an email, then have 2 days to think about the contents which could alter your entire life, then meet a child the following day, and decide on possibly 'forever'? It's pretty cool actually....also very stressful, exciting, and all around different than 'adoption' ever played out in my head.

It came about through 'a friend of a friend' ....but all God orchestrated I have no doubt. Where a foster family has an adorable little boy who through recent events is appearing to be on track for adoption through DHS and needs to be moved to a foster to adopt home asap. That's where we came in and we needed to make a decision fairly quickly. I panicked thinking could this really be happening....I mean I've talked my whole life about adopting and here is a possible opportunity placed before my family what do I do?! How do I know if this is supposed to be our child?! So of course for 2 days I prayed and prayed and prayed.

What do I hear from God? Nothing. Silence.

So I asked to get to meet this precious little 4 month old boy. We picked him up the next morning to 'babysit' for the day. I discovered it can take just one day to fall in love with a complete stranger.

Wish that was just it...all I needed, but there was so much that complicated the situation in my heart including very unsettling opinions of people closest to me. Therefore I thought maybe this isn't right? If it's going to be so hard and even uncomfortable then maybe this just isn't God's plan. Shouldn't God's plan just 'feel' right and be easy?

The answer is NO. And God clearly laid it all out for me the next morning in a church service. I mean a 'yes' so clear from God I couldn't miss it. I know without a doubt God does not call us to live a 'comfortable' life part of being a disciple is to stand out and doing boldly whatever God may ask. I just needed a reminder of that apparently.

That was it....my heart and my little families heart is forever intertwined with a 5 month old baby that we hardly know, but already love. The future is very unknown because adoption through DHS is far from a clear cut predictable process and it may be awhile before we have answers.....but from day 1 I've looked at D and thought of him as my future son. I have to be all in, because thats what is required...even though my heart might get broke into a thousand pieces....I know he is worth it.

'So today, i'm reminded to be thankful for a God who does not fit neatly inside my narrowly constructed box. I'm glad God does not stay in the walls I create. He is bigger and better and greater, far beyond my wild dreams.'

This may not be how I would have designed my family if you asked a long time ago, but I'm glad I didn't get to decide because look what I'd be missing out on.


2 comments:

  1. I just stumbled across your blog because my mom suggested I look up the song the Hurt and the Healer, and your blog came up somehow. I am not a Christian per se, though I come from an evangelical background. Anyhow, that's not what I am here to say. I just wanted to let you know what an inspiration this blog has been to me. My husband and I have been trying for years now to get pregnant and we just had our first failed IVF. The heartbreak has been crippling. When I read your words, "I have to be all in, because thats what is required...even though my heart might get broke into a thousand pieces....I know he is worth it," they just resounded with me in such a profound way. I love your courage, your faith, and your resilience. I wish you all of the joy this life has to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to type a short reply incase you see this. Thank for your encouraging comment! I understand where you are coming from and I know that infertility and miscarriage are one of the hardest things I've struggled with. May God give you the faith, patience, and peace as you walk these roads. May he bless you!

    ReplyDelete