Monday, January 7, 2013

What adoption is to me.

Big things have been happening. Mostly VERY exciting things for my little family, but reactions others have had are disappointing to me. I also believe they are disappointing to Christ. I've had too much on my heart and mind to even write lately. I couldn't quite figure out how to put everything I'm feeling into words.

I'm writing this to hopefully clarify where we stand and why we will not be moved.

There are those in our lives who are misunderstanding what adoption is and why we want to be a part of it. Apparently some think we are adopting just because we want to. And they may even think this is a bad decision. That somehow we may ruin our lives. There within lies the problem....

We are adopting because God calls us to. Period.

No ones opinion will change that. Very thorough thought, prayer, and research went into every step of this decision. Short term and LONG term. It is happening, so you might as well get on board or at least move out of the way.

As much as I hate that not everyone shares the same joy we have I can not bare the thought of being anywhere but in the center of God's will. My 'need' for acceptance from others pales greatly in comparison to my view on God's opinion of me. Yes, there are a lot of potentially 'scary' outcomes with the adoption process. It will be hard....but there will be joy. There will be hurt...but there will be healing.

What adoption is to me: Being blessed with a child and a gift of life that we do not deserve. Along with the responsibility to love, nurture, guide, and discipline precious little lives with the wisdom God alone gives. There is pain in adoption, especially for the child, because at the root of it there was rejection....that's what can make the ending so much more beautiful.

What adoption is not to me: finding a cute, loving, and perfect child who will be forever grateful for the 'sacrifice' I made for them.

There is no perfect child.

It's definitely not about how they look on the outside and how they will make your family look...it's about who they are and what they need. All children are looking for someone who will meet there most basic needs and needing someone to love them unconditionally. They all deserve that-no matter their skin color, gender, age, or health.

Adoption allows us to be a part of something bigger than ourselves. All involved are equally blessed for the family receiving a precious addition and for the child receiving the gift of a family. I have no doubt that my family will forever be changed by what is in store. Breyton's life will forever be different. To have our eyes opened in ways we can not undo and to experience first hand what God is capable of when we open the book of our lives and allow Him to script every page.

Honestly because of that I have a joy that can not be stifled by negative comments.

Because adoption is redemption, it's healing, it's beautiful, it's love.

Disclaimer: I do want to give credit for all the wonderful people we do have around us! So many have supported us every step of the way. I am so very grateful for each and every one of you. There is no fear where the will of God takes you and many know that is the best place for us to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment