Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Maybe a little discontent can be holy?

God has really been working on me lately about being content and grateful in all circumstances. I'm not just talking about the big things, but the everyday little grumblings... Because I think those little things are a big thing to God and have a big effect on the state of our heart and attitude.

I mean even on our vacation in beautiful Cancun I had to try not to grumble when the first 2 days it poured rain ALL day and on the way home we missed our flight and were delayed...I mean how ridiculous to choose to gripe about details that weren't going the way I planned instead of focusing on the million things that were going right?

Like for starters hey we are all still breathing, right?

Also my answered prayer that Breyton did good on the flights and didn't scream( I mean we were even complimented by strangers on his behavior the 1st flight). Or that we all arrived safely and had the opportunity to soak in the amazingly gorgeous view of one of Gods masterpieces! The water could not have been bluer or more beautiful.

I mean really if Mason and I had more than 3 beautiful days of sunshine I can only imagine the sunburn we could have had to endure:)

I want my children to grow up seeing a mom who can see God in any circumstance good or bad...big or small.

Though their will always be something to gripe about I want to choose to grumble less, especially in front of these precious little 'sponges' (aka toddlers) that soak in everything we do...so when we are running late, when its so dang windy(like today!!), when our food order is incorrect, when I can't find the keys yet again, when everyone and everything is on my nerves I can ask God to help me glorify him in that moment.

I happened to read this in my daily devotional the other day as God always sends the perfect one to my email the day I need to read it--seriously true story:)

"We live in a world with more choices and opportunities for distraction than any other. Our environment is success driven and goal oriented as we constantly reach for "more." However, this constant strife often leads to weariness and discontent. So, we often work harder to find a little piece of contentment. However, there is a problem with this battle. This earth is not our home. We cannot-should not-ever be completely content here. I believe the Spirit fills us with a holy discontent. Any happiness here is a shadow of the glory to be revealed in Christ. Therefore, let us not neglect the things of God and store up riches in heaven. One day, maybe with a phone call, the things of this world will be taken from us. But our work for the Lord and our treasures in heaven will endure for eternity. "

I believe what the writer is saying is that God can give us a sense of peace and contentment only found in Him, but as for the things of this world we will never be content and it will never ever ever EVER be 'enough'.

 I like the idea that this is 'holy discontent' and that it will serve as a reminder that this earth is not our home. We endure this race for the end prize that awaits us in heaven.

Because this apartment (nor future bigger home) will never stay organized, the dishes and laundry are never caught up, and all the clothes and possessions will never satisfy.

After all don't we usually hear those with the most money or possessions often are the least happy or satisfied? I can actually believe it. Sometimes I find myself driving by the crazy huge mansions in Edmond and actually feel sorry for those living in it. Not that a 4,000+ sq ft house is in and of itself a sin....but I'm fooling myself if I think our next house or even my dream house would make us content.

Love how this anonymous person said it:)- "I'm just like that, spiritually. My world is so small, my vision so limited, my depravity so complete. I often don't see things from God's perspective, making me proud and boastful of my paltry possessions, unable or uninterested in seeing the potential of what I could have. I'm comparing houses while God has a mansion waiting for me."

I want to spend my time filling myself up with the One who will satisfy and spend less time thinking about our next big purchase or complaining about ordinary daily tasks or annoyances that will never go away until we are truly Home.

~


Here we are soaked with rain the 1st day and focusing on keeping smiles on our faces! And by the way we were blessed with an amazing trip despite a few minor hiccups:)




No comments:

Post a Comment